Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Conjoined twin flower

I have had the luck a seeing a couple of these on two different fuchsia.  Something in my climate is just right enough to keep them happy while still make them a bit bizarre when spring starts up or maybe it is just the water.


We get very mild weather here near San Francisco but further south, little in the way of frost and little in the way of heat over 80. Just as good as could be for them this far north. But something in near forced dormancy they go through in the cold we do get (lots of 35-45F nights) causes some odd flowers as they wake up in spring. I'll will show more of soon, think flowers with leaves for sepals.


This is not a genetic mutation or at least not of the whole plant.  I only ever see one in a year, sometimes two and the last two were on different fuchsia species.  I have also seen photos of many other plants doing this once in while.  Nevertheless I try to pollinate the things anyway and grow the seeds, just hoping to create something amazing.


Quite amazing to see.  Kinda of like finding a four leaf clover to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment