Thursday, March 28, 2013

Variegated Begonia Flower?

Yes there is such a thing.


I may be taking a slight stretch at saying variegated where some would say picotee.  But these truly have a variable patter of white that can be anywhere over the flower.  Flowers are not just two colored. 

And it is also a trait that can be passed on to seed.  I won't say true to seed as very few yield nice doubled flowers. I have raised some pretty nice ones though:


These are also in the Begonia Tuberhybridia type, or tuberous bulb forming begonias.  They grow in spring and summer and then go dormant for winter.  If kept dry they need no protection in my mild weather, but should not freeze ever.

These doubles may be a bit larger this year as that was the second year flower only.  Here is another with some yellow that came in from the other non-variegated parent I believe:



So basically it is true to seed, but lush big double flowers are not! I love raising begonias from seed as it is like Christmas morning for a six year old to watch the seedlings develop their own leaf patterns and then the first blooms a year later. Each seedling can be completely different from the next seed in the same pod. I post some of my Rex crosses in the future as those all have differnet leaf patterns and each and every seedling. Amazing and great to have true anticipation of the new and unknown around.



These are related to parents involved in some of these commercial varieties:


See my album for a few more pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment